Thursday, February 7, 2013

In which I acquaint you with our new hobby

This fall, Natalie and I began a craze that captivates us to this day. It began with a simple desire to create a memory book for each of my girls, something more creative and in-depth than the store bought baby books I already had for them. My search started on Youtube, and somehow I ended up on this wonderful 3-part instruction video on one woman's way to put together what is called a "junque journal:"

 
 
 
I watched all three segments and knew that I could take this and run with it. Natalie seemed fascinated with the idea of filling up an entire book with art, so lists and plans were made.
 
When we finally headed out to the big city of Fargo, I, armed with my list of necessary book-making supplies, all but ran into Hobby Lobby. My junque journal starter list was quite simple. We needed a few 99-cent composition notebooks, lots of scrapbook paper, lots of stick glue, amazing amounts of tacky glue, and ribbons.
 
I figured I'd start making a Jess journal first, reasoning that if I was going to mess up on anything, it might as well be mine. Yes, I started filling up a book with all those thingamabobs and papers I had been saving since I was a little kid, and hence became addicted to the most relaxing, most enjoyable, most creative hobby I have ever yet encountered: junque journaling/book making.
 
Natalie and I have already begun work on a small number of junque projects.
 
 
 
The above is my Jess junque journal, my first attempt ever. Honestly, more than looking at it, I love holding it! It's everything I've looked for in a memory book: thick, heavy, vintage-y, papery goodness. I'll add a few more pics below...
 
 
 
I have always loved paper dolls. That means I do even now. My large paper doll collection included Polly Pratt and friends dolls... which, after years of not being played with, became the perfect accent to my journal.
 
Natalie's first junque journal is the beauty I'll show you next:
 
 
 
Natalie has been loving junque journaling SO much that she now has an entire 30 gallon bin dedicated to all of her things. I've never done a project before with this crafty child that has opened her creativity to such heights.
 
For Christmas, Natalie and I decided my sisters Jenny and Jaclyn needed an intro into our world of junquing... so we made this for Jenny:
 

 
and this for Jaclyn:
 
 
I have only recently gotten around to starting Natalie and Heather's journals... I must say, I'm pretty excited about the way they are turning out... perhaps a post on them later?
 
What Natalie and I have begun as well are address books. I realized while at the store trying to find the perfect address book that I could make one very easily and much more "funly". Of course, when Natalie saw the new book I had started, she insisted on making her own. Here is Natalie's self-titled, brand new "phonebook:"
 
(front)
 

(back)
 

(page tab)
 
and here is mommy's:
 

 
(Isn't this some of the loveliest lace ribbons ever!?)
 

What makes this type of journaling and book-making so awesome is that anything and everything you see can be used to make these books. I have ridiculous amounts of fun sifting through thrift store craft areas and fabrics to see what vintage lovins' I can find... like the sweet ribboning above and every fabric on and within my books. These journals make "scrapbooking" fun, because they do not require perfect layouts or cuts... you do what you want with them, and the imperfections are what make them beautiful.
 
Have I convinced you to join us in our new hobby yet?
 
One of these days I'll give you a journey into the books above and even Heather's junque journal as well, because yes, even my two-year old has one she loves pasting things into! 


No comments:

Post a Comment