Yesterday morning Larry told me he wanted to go to said festival, and I informed him that the only reason I was going to go without a fuss was because it would be fodder for my blog; written with an overtly satirical slant.
We got there, and I new this picture of the lonely little town of Rutland, population 161, home of "Uff-da Day," would be the perfect start to my post.
Then this sign, on prominent display on their main street. Oh dear.
But then the parade started, and not only was it short and sweet, we caught tons of candy. Natalie was even thrown a doll which she later named "Teddy Beara." Her smile at this surprise gift and the way she held it to her the rest of the day made my heart swell.
Then we came across a few things throughout the day that just made me smile:
...they are wearing pink! Loved it.
...in which we learn that Vikings are still an issue.
...we get to see how a small town in middle-of-nowhere North Dakota does its recycling.
What I liked most about how Rutland put together their festival was 1) they held it on a Sunday afternoon, 2) they picked October, a cooler, more enjoyable time of year to be outside, and 3) wherever one walked, fresh-made food and demonstrations and crafts could be found. We didn't have to get in our car to travel from one activity in town to the other, or plan entire days around what time something was going to start.
We watched native pastries being made (the names I couldn't even begin to remember, much less pronounce),
ate ice cream churned in a wood barrel by hand,
toured the town's one room schoolhouse,
walked through an surprisingly extensive car show,
watched wool being spun into thread by hand (and foot),
discovered a local cafe and ate a delicious dumpling soup and homemade chicken salad,
rummaged a little at a fun sale full of old furniture and homey things (I brought home two exciting discoveries!),
and found the sweetest antique shop ever, open in this small town only one weekend a month.
Oh, I also took pictures of Rutland's world-wide claim to fame, and a worthy one indeed.
So I guess I have learned to accept the fact that I am surrounded by Nords, and enjoy it too. And I will try not to cringe so much when I hear the term "uff-da," especially if it comes from the mouth of a North Dakota native, specifically my dearest friend Stephanie :). But I still hold fast to my vow to never allow it into my personal word list.
Thank you North Dakota.
No comments:
Post a Comment